What happened to traditional hymns during Mass and why are they so important? Dan and Melissa speak with Fr. George Rutler about his book, The Stories of Hymns: The History Behind 100 of Christianity's Greatest Hymns to find out.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What is the meaning and significance of the hymn, "O Come, O Come Emmanuel"?
- What is the difference between a hymn and other types of songs?
- Are translations of the lyrics important?
- How does hymnody add more beauty to the liturgy?
- What are some common "mistakes" made in modern times with regard to music in the liturgy?