What is "centering prayer"? Can it lead to contemplation? Do I need to pray to be saved? Dan and Melissa discuss these questions and more as they reflect on the book Finding God Through Meditation by St Peter of Alcántara.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Is contemplation the same thing as centering prayer?
- Can contemplation be attained or prepared for through the centering prayer method?
- What does the Catholic Church say about centering prayer?
- What's wrong with the concept of "letting thoughts go"?
- Is prayer necessary for salvation?
- What does St Bonaventure say about prayer?
- How do I become holy?
- How does mental prayer help keep us on "the narrow way" to holiness?
- Prayer as a means of keeping our spiritual vision clear.
- Does a life of faith without prayer make any sense?