When St. Teresa's brother expressed a desire to practice physical mortification she gave him some spiritual direction. Dan and Melissa discuss acesis and spiritual progress as they reflect on letters from St. Teresa in the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What is a hair shirt? How is it used in the spiritual life?
- The role of the Holy Spirit in physical ascetical practices.
- How can one avoid the sin of pride when practicing ascesis?
- Discerning whether, or how, to practice mortification.
- Interior mortification vs. external mortification
- What are the benefits of ascetical practices?
- What are the fruits of suffering? Is voluntary suffering as fruitful as involuntary suffering?