What was Catholicism like in colonial America? Join Dan Burke and Melissa Elson as they speak with Fr. Charles Connor about his book, Pioneer Priests and Makeshift Altars to unveil the plight of Catholics who ventured to the New World.
Topics/Questions Covered in the Show:
- What was the religious climate like in England and America during the founding of the 13 colonies?
- Why does Maryland have a Catholic history?
- What caused such intolerance towards Catholics in the colonies?
- Were the founding fathers of the United States anti-Catholic?
- How does the history of Catholics in early America pertain to our country's current, secularized, anti-Christian culture?