Join Dan Burke and Melissa Elson as they speak with Susan Brinkmann about her book, A Catholic Guide to Mindfulness, to discover the truth about this increasingly popular, but dangerous practice.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Why was it necessary to enlist the help of experts on Eastern religions to write this book?
- What is mindfulness? Where did it originate?
- Can the Buddhist influence on mindfulness be separated from the practice?
- Why do studies show that mindfulness is helpful for stress reduction and anxiety?
- Why were so many of the studies invalid?
- Is this movement financially motivated?
- What are some of the affects of mindfulness?
- Why are Eastern meditative practices so attractive to Western cultures?
- What are some of the differences between Christianity and Buddhism?