What does it mean to be called to a contemplative prayer life? Join Dan Burke and Melissa Elson as they speak with Dr. Anthony Lilles about the book Elizabeth of the Trinity: A Life of Praise to God to discover the riches hidden in the wisdom of St. Elizabeth of the Trinity.
Topics/Questions Covered in the Show:
- Why did Dr. Lilles choose to focus his doctoral work on St. Elizabeth of the Trinity?
- Who is Sister Giovanna Della Croce and why are her writings about St. Elizabeth important?
- What is unique about St. Elizabeth of the Trinity?
- Why did the Church wait until recently to recognize the importance of her life and writings?
- What is the importance of focusing on all three persons of the Trinity during prayer?
- What is contemplation? What is her approach to contemplation? Is contemplation intended for lay men and women as well as religious brothers and sisters?
- St. Elizabeth did not experience ecstasies or raptures in prayer. Are these psychological experiences necessary during contemplative prayer?
- How can St. Elizabeth's writings help listeners transform their prayer lives to become more intimate with each person of the Trinity?