How can we overcome distractions in prayer? How do we recognize transitions in our prayer lives, and how should we respond to them? Dan and Melissa address these questions and more as they discuss the book Finding God Through Meditation by St Peter of Alcántara.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Are the distractions we experience in prayer from God?
- Where do inspirations in prayer come from?
- How can I overcome the temptation to get on the computer when I go to pray?
- Why is having a sacred space for prayer so important?
- Understanding transitions in prayer through the teaching of St Peter.
- Definitions of vocal prayer and mental prayer, and the distinctions between them.
- What does the Catechism say about meditation?
- Prayer as a battle.
- How does the enemy try to keep us from praying?
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Finding God Through Meditation ebook - St. Peter of Alcántara
- Divine Intimacy Radio on spiritualdirection.com website
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- EWTN Religious Catalogue - online
- How do I Set Up a Home Altar? - post on spiritualdirection.com
- iBreviary (iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch, Android, Kindle Fire, Windows Phone 7, Blackberry, mobile version, widgets): Contains the Liturgy of the Hours and also all the readings from the Mass
- Evernote - The note keeping and archiving app that Dan referred to.
- Pantockrator icon of Christ on Dan's altar - Wikimedia Commons link to oldest known 6th century icon from St Catherine's Monastery
- Byzantine Three Bar Crucifix - similar to Dan's (EWTN Religious Catalogue link)
- Theotokos of Vladimir Icon (Our Lady of Vladimir) - similar to Dan's - MonasteryIcons link
- St. Ignatius Rules for Discernment – The second set of eight rules
- Catechism of the Catholic Church - Part 4, Section 1, Chapter 3, Article 1, Section II: Meditation
- Pilgrimage 2016 to Avila with Dan Burke and Teresa Tomeo (March 28 - April 4, 2016)
- Onething 2015 - Dan Burke speaking engagement, Kansas City (Dec. 28-31)
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 - "May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." - USCCB Bible link
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729.