Interruption in our discussion about spiritual direction that we will return to after Easter…
The name of the show “Divine Intimacy Radio” comes from an incredible work by a Discalced Carmelite Priest named Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen. It was first published in 1964… reflections for every day of the liturgical year following the pre-conciliar liturgical calendar.
Shifting from discussion about general spiritual direction to how to prepare for lent.
Reflection on how the Eastern liturgy and preconciliar liturgy in the West can help us to better prepare for Lent.
Five Considerations to Help Us Prepare for Lent:
- We are sinners and we need to acquire a deep consciousness of sin (old introit of mass “The groans of death have surrounded me, the pains of hell have laid hold on me”
- Gods invitation to become a part of his work. It is never too late. You are invited to relationship with him and to know his redemption.
- Christian life is not a life of ease but hard work.
- During the struggle, the “wreath of victory beckons” the reward of eternal life is before us.
- Warning - “You are now approaching that which is most sacred: baptism and Eucharist, the heart of the paschal mystery. Woe unto you, if your life fails to correspond to God’s will; then you will fare as did the fathers in the desert. They too received a baptism and heavenly food, but they died in the wilderness and never saw the Promised land.”
Call-In Question and Discussion: What are the spiritual benefits of fasting?
- Why do we fast?
- How is Jesus an example of the practice of fasting? (Luke 4:1)
- Why did Jesus fast?
- Why did fasting impact whether or not the discipled could cast out a demon?
- How does fasting help us to orient our hearts toward loving God? (John of the Cross)
Divine Intimacy by Fr. Gabriel of St. Mary Magdalen - Published by Baronius Press
Navigating the Interior Life - Spiritual Direction and the Journey to God