Today Dan and Melissa talk about mortification and how we can love God more fully by denying ourselves of earthly things.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- What does St. Teresa of Avila mean when she says, "Prayer and a comfortable life do not go together"?
- What does it mean to take up our cross in the midst of all of the comfort we experience?
- We are called to embrace the cross, which is the ultimate act of self-giving.
- What is mortification?
- Once we are detached from earthly things, we are free to love God in a more pure way.
- When we are not mortifying ourselves, our appetites begin to rule us.
- Why are little, daily, physical mortifications helpful in the spiritual life?
- What is a "rule of life" and how does this help incorporate mortification into our lives?