This week Dan and Melissa explore the meaning of spiritual desolation and how to recognize it through the examen prayer.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Rule 4 - "I call desolation all the contrary of the third rule, such as darkness of soul, disturbance in it, movement to low and earthly things, disquiet from various agitations and temptations, moving to lack of confidence, without hope, without love, finding oneself totally slothful, tepid, sad, and, as if separated from one's Creator and Lord. For just as consolation is contrary to desolation in the same way the thoughts that come from consolation are contrary to the thoughts that come from desolation."
- Is distraction in prayer a type of desolation?
- What is the difference between depression and spiritual desolation?
- Spiritual desolation (Rule 4) as the opposite of spiritual consolation (Rule 3).
- Tactics of the enemy to draw a soul away from God.
- The importance of the examen prayer to recognize the spiraling effect of negative thoughts and overcome the desolation that follows.