Want to start a new prayer life? Dan and Melissa answer a listeners question on getting started in prayer. Join them as they offer suggestions on developing a prayer habit and reflect on the book Finding God Through Meditation by St Peter of Alcántara.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- How can I begin a new prayer life if I’ve never successfully established a daily habit?
- How long does it take for a practice to become a habit?
- Why is prayer considered an ascesis?
- Three key points to developing a prayer habit: clarity, community, and accountability.
- How does vocal prayer lead to mental prayer?
- Why does the enemy care about our prayer life?
- Finding God Through Meditation – St. Peter of Alcántara
- Finding God Through Meditation ebook - St. Peter of Alcántara
- Divine Intimacy Radio on spiritualdirection.com website
- Avila Institute for Spiritual Formation
- Catechism of the Catholic Church - Part 4: Christian Prayer
- The Interior Castle Study Edition
- Luke 11:1-4 - "He was praying in a certain place, and when he had finished, one of his disciples said to him, “Lord, teach us to pray just as John taught his disciples."" - The Lord's Prayer, USCCB Bible link
- Matthew 6:5-8 - Teaching About Prayer - USCCB Bible link
- Lectio Divina, A Guide: What It Is & How It Helps Prayer Life - Post on spiritual direction.com
- The Way of Perfection - St. Teresa of Avila. Contains her explication of The Lord's Prayer
- If Only You Knew...Saint Teresa and the Waters of Prayer - post on spiritual direction.com
- The Book of Her Life - Teresa of Avila
- Catechism of the Catholic Church - Prologue. I. The life of man - to know and love God
- James 4:8 - "Draw near to God, and he will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you of two minds." - USCCB Bible link
- 1 Thessalonians 5:23 - "May the God of peace himself make you perfectly holy and may you entirely, spirit, soul, and body, be preserved blameless for the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ." - USCCB Bible link
- Questions? Send an e-mail to Questions@myavila.com or call 818-646-7729.