What happens to a holy soul during the "dark night"? Today, Dan, Melissa and Dr. Anthony Lilles explore the meaning of the "dark night of the soul" and the way that St. Therese of Lisieux perseveres through this difficult time in her spiritual journey.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- How is St. Therese's description of "the dark night of the soul" similar to that of St. John of the Cross?
- What are the stages of the spiritual life? What stage is St. Therese experiencing?
- We must pass through this "dark night" in order to progress from one stage to the next.
- St. Therese has complete trust in God even though she cannot sense His presence in her life at this point.
- Many lose faith or become discouraged during this stage, but St. Therese is committed to her Lord. She never loses trust in Him.
- How can we have peace while in this transition stage?
- How can we make progress spiritually while in this transition stage?