In the midst of her own suffering, St. Teresa "lifts the eyes" of Doña Maria de Mendoza who is experiencing trials. St. Teresa consoles her friend by helping her to understand God's role in her suffering. Dan and Melissa discuss joy, suffering, emotions, and acts of the will as they reflect on letters from St. Teresa in the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- How to identify the saint who can best help you in your spiritual life.
- Can you actually feel joy in the midst of your trials?
- Can you prepare yourself in advance for suffering?
- What are some things that hinder our spiritual growth?
- Can we recognize the value in our suffering?
- Does joy in suffering require an act of the will, or is it a gift?
- How does suffering aid in spiritual growth?
- How do "victim souls" participate in Jesus suffering and salvation of the world?
- Understanding that the suffering that God allows is for our salvation.