How can we determine if our crosses are the work of God or the work of the enemy? Dan and Melissa discuss St. Teresa's spiritual advice to a friend in a letter from the book 30 Days with Teresa of Avila.
Topics/Questions covered in the show:
- Why does God answer our prayers with trials and suffering?
- Can the work of the enemy be mistaken for the work of God?
- How can we tell if a trial is the work of God and not the work of the devil?
- Some tools for discernment: daily examen, spiritual direction, St. Ignatius' Rules of Discernment.
- Can an action that seems to be in service to God be inspired by the enemy?
- How and why are advanced souls more at risk of attacks from the devil?
- Moderation in spiritual life in St. Teresa's time contrasted with modern society.